This is the Blog for Thomas Lai

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Ubuntu Desktop



For the past week, I have been busy setting up Ubuntu 5.10 "The Breezy Badger". This is a nice Linux distro based on Debian. Previously I used most Red Hat and Mandrake, so it is a new experience for me.

Setting up Ubuntu is a breeze. But out of the box, there is no support for mp3 and other multimedia, but there is always help from online forums -

1. Ubuntu Starter Guide
2. Automatix
3. Chinese Input - fcitx and GCIN

Personally I find fcitx easier to use because it supports 字词全拼. I also found Azureus works better with Blackdown Java 1.4 rather than Sun Java 1.5. Not sure why.

The screenshot above shows
1. the GAIM with GCIN input of Chinese characters.
2. Mplayer
3. Skype
4. Nautilus File Browser

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home